- Natural Resources
The Natural Resources Department has the following responsibilities:
- Administers the daily workload of the Conservation Commission
- Enforcing the Town Wetlands Bylaw, Wetlands Protection Act
- Shellfish management
- Alewife (herring) run development and management
- Oil spill response
- Enforcing other environmental laws and regulations including:
- Animal control
The following publications are available at the Natural Resources Department:
- Beachcomber’s Guide to Cape Cod Seashores
- The Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act
- Homeowner’s Handbook to prepare for Coastal Hazards
- You Can Help Protect the Piping Plover
- Safe Shellfish for Recreational Harvesters
- Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Info about Red Tide
- Be Shark Smart
- National Flood Insurance Program
- Protect our Floodplains
- Questions & Answers on Coastal Real Estate Purchasing
- Erosion Control Methods
- MA Fishing and Hunting 2020
*Public Survey-Input Requested: Coastal Resiliency in Historic Sandwich Village
The Town of Sandwich received funding from the Massachusetts Municipal Vulnerability Preparedness Program to develop strategies for increasing coastal resiliency in Historic Sandwich Village.
To successfully establish a plan for the future, we need your input to understand what features are most important and to know how you envision a more resilient Village.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE STAKEHOLDER SURVEY TO HELP GUIDE THE TOWN IN ITS RESPONSE TO FUTURE FLOODING:
TO REVIEW DETAILED FLOOD MAPS AND PROVIDE COMMENTS ON SPECIFIC LOCATIONS, VISIT OUR THREE INTERACTIVE MAP PORTALS:
Each map includes instructions for commenting, which are generally:
-Make sure the comment layer is activated (checked) in the Layer List
-Select the comment layer in the Edit Bar
-Drop a point (or draw a shape) by clicking your area of interest
-Answer the comment questions in the pop-up
Portal A: Important Features
What is important in the Village?https://tinyurl.com/SandwichVillageMapImportant
Portal B: Flooding (Past, Present, Future)
Where have you observed flooding, and how is it impacting the Village?https://tinyurl.com/SandwichVillageMapFlooding
Portal C: Adaptation Strategies and Vision
Which strategies do you support?
What else would benefit the Village?
MVP Presentation - Coastal Vulnerability:
Please join us June 8th at the Sandhill School Community Center to provide feedback on climate change adaption strategies for Historic Sandwich Village. 3-5pm Presentation on coastal vulnerability, break-out session to review strategies. 5-7pm Walk-in session for Q & A and informal review.
The Town is working on a phased coastal adaption strategy for the Village integrating resilient design and community vision. This workshop will review coastal exposure and ask for your feedback on a variety of adaption options.